Donning Techniques - Sterile Gloves
There are two techniques for donning sterile gloves, "Closed Donning" and "Open
Donning". Regardless of which one you use, it is vital that all surface powder be
removed from powdered gloves after donning. This can be done with either sterile
water from a pour rinse, or a sterile wipe.
1. Peel open the outer pack from the corners. The inner pack is sterile. Gripping
it through your gown, open it to display the gloves.
2. With your gown covering your fingers, use your right hand to remove the left
glove. Hold your left hand palm up, fingers straight. Lay the glove on your left
wrist, and grip the cuff with your left thumb.
3. Place your right thumb inside the top cuff edge. Make a fist with your right
hand and stretch the glove over your left fingertips.
4. Keeping your left fingers straight, pull down the glove.
5. Repeat the above procedure to don the other glove, that is: use your gloved left
hand to lay the right glove on your right wrist. Slide your left thumb inside the
top of the cuff, make a fist, and stretch the cuff over your right fingertips. Pull
down the sleeve and glove together.
1. Pick up the cuff of the right glove with your left hand. Slide your right hand
into the glove until you have a snug fit over the thumb joint and knuckles. Your
bare left hand should only touch the folded cuff - the rest of the glove remains
2. Slide your right fingertips into the folded cuff of the left glove. Pull out
the glove and fit your right hand into it.
3. Unfold the cuffs down over your gown sleeves. Make sure your gloved fingertips
do not touch your bare forearms or wrists.
The key to removing both sterile and non-sterile gloves is
"Dirty to Dirty - Clean to Clean",
that is, contaminated surfaces only touch other contaminated surfaces: your
bare hand, which is clean, touches only clean areas inside the other glove.
1. Take hold of the first glove at the wrist.
2. Fold it over and peel it back, turning it inside out as it goes. Once the glove
is off, hold it with your gloved hand.
3. To remove the other glove, place your bare fingers inside the cuff without touching
the glove exterior. Peel the glove off from the inside, turning it inside out as
it goes. Use it to envelope the other glove.
Customer Relations at 1.800.321.9752.